The constant need to use up over ripe bananas led me to try this newish recipe. Normally I do a banana, pecan and date loaf when needing to use up bananas but it takes quite a bit of time to bake so welcome the Banana Pecan Muffin!
You will need for muffin batter:
1 1/2 cup of wholemeal self raising flower
3 ripe bananas mashed
2/3 cup of coconut sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup melted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons plain flour
2 tablespoons soft butter
2 tablespoons rolled oats
about 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a 12 x muffin pan with liners.
- combine mashed banana, sugar, melted butter, egg and vanilla in a large bowl.
- add flour and stir to just combine - they say you shouldn't over mix muffins.
- divide batter over the 12 muffin cups.
- in a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients, treat it like you would an apple crumble topping - rubbing the butter through the other ingredients.
- sprinkle topping on top of muffin batter- slightly press into batter so you don't lose any nuts!
- bake for about 18 minutes - until cooked!
Next time I would probably add a little nutmeg to the batter just to give a further depth of flavour and maybe even pop some finely chopped pecans in there as well - otherwise pretty delicious!