|Vegetarian Sausage Rolls|
I'm a reasonably big meat eater (sorry Vegetarians and Vegans!). I probably don't always eat meat everyday but I do enjoy the taste of meat. Many would joke that Australian meat pies and sausage rolls have very limited meat in them and I would agree with them if we were looking at the dodgy pies and rolls that are bought at sports games or convenience stores.
I had sampled a 'Vegetarian' sausage roll at a morning tea and was amazed by the texture and flavour. Basically it was better than a regular sausage roll and I was inspired to try and re-create my own at home. This recipe is delicious mostly due to the pecan nuts. They give a great texture and flavour and I love anything with pecans in it!
What you will need:
4 sheets of puff pastry
2 x 400g cans of lentils, rinsed and drained well (I squish excess water out with my hands)
1 small brown onion
2 small carrots grated
3/4 cup of chopped pecan nuts
1/4 cup of breadcrumbs
stick of celery finely chopped
1/4 cup of BBQ sauce, or tomato chutney for moisture, sweetness and flavour.
seasonings, garlic, salt, pepper etc... how you like it!
egg for egg wash
- lightly cook the onions, carrot and celery in a cast iron pan. You want to soften the veggies!
- allow to cool and pop in a mixing bowl with all the other ingredients and mix well.
- check your seasonings! I added a bit of red pepper flakes at this point.
- Cut your thawed pastry in half and spoon the mixture down one side
- using the egg wash, brush down the edge of the other side, roll over to make a long sausage shape. Make sure that the pastry is all sealed on the side
- egg wash the top and cut into sections. You can either cut into 4 mini sausage rolls or into 6 bite sized party rolls!
- pop into the oven set at about 180 degrees Celsius. This iis a bit dependent on your oven. Mine is quite hot but you may need to lift to 200!
- These guys will take about 20 minutes to 30 minutes to cook
- serve with tomato sauce or a delicious home made chutney!
We are definitely getting through our chutney! It is amazing on these delicious sausage rolls. You can find my recipe for Green Tomato Chutney here!