|whole lotta silverbeet, straight out of our garden!|
If you've been reading this blog, you would know that we have ventured into growing our own vegetables. In the last couple of weeks our silverbeet has been going crazy so I thought that I would whip up a silverbeet and cheese pie that references the lovely Greek 'Spanakopita' as well as the Maltese 'Pork and Pea' pie!
Although this isn't a recipe as such, I thought I would give you my tips for what I think makes an awesome Silverbeet and Cheese pie!
|pie out of the oven!|
I used puff pastry (yep, the kind from the frozen foods section of the supermarket!) for this pie and by using 2 sheets in a spring form pan and roughly folding over the edges to encase the filling, it gave it a lovely 'rustic' look.
When it came to combination of filling, these elements are important:
- lightly cooked garlic and red onion, gives it a great sweet flavour.
- A combination of greek style fetta (I use Dodoni brand), some ricotta and freshly grated parmesan. I use mostly fetta, little less ricotta and less parmesan.
- lemon zest!! It freshens the whole thing up and gives it zing and zang1
- good dose of salt and pepper.
- when cooking the silverbeet, lightly cook it - don't kill it! You want it to be a lovely green colour still.
|Yep, we've eaten into it!|