Monday, September 27, 2010

Silverbeet and Cheese pie... and loving the spring form pan!

Home grown silverbeet
whole lotta silverbeet, straight out of our garden!

If you've been reading this blog, you would know that we have ventured into growing our own vegetables.  In the last couple of weeks our silverbeet has been going crazy so I thought that I would whip up a silverbeet and cheese pie that references the lovely Greek 'Spanakopita' as well as the Maltese 'Pork and Pea' pie!

Although this isn't a recipe as such, I thought I would give you my tips for what I think makes an awesome Silverbeet and Cheese pie!

Silverbeet and cheese pie
pie out of the oven!

I used puff pastry (yep, the kind from the frozen foods section of the supermarket!) for this pie and by using 2 sheets in a spring form pan and roughly folding over the edges to encase the filling, it gave it a lovely 'rustic' look. 
When it came to combination of filling, these elements are important:
  • lightly cooked garlic and red onion, gives it a great sweet flavour.
  • A combination of greek style fetta (I use Dodoni brand), some ricotta and freshly grated parmesan.  I use mostly fetta, little less ricotta and less parmesan.
  • lemon zest!! It freshens the whole thing up and gives it zing and zang1
  • good dose of salt and pepper.
  • when cooking the silverbeet, lightly cook it - don't kill it!  You want it to be a lovely green colour still.

Pie!!
Yep, we've eaten into it!


Using the spring form pan really helped to make this delicious pie crispy and super easy to get out!  I cooked this baby at about 180 degrees Celsius for between 25 minutes and 30 minutes.  You could use the same method in the spring form pan with a million other fillings.   Although quite cheesy, this pie was delicious and a great way to use up some of our silverbeet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also find this delicious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...