Monday, June 13, 2011

Espresso Martini...

Espresso martini



I’ve always been very skeptical of flavoured martinis.  I’m a purist, I like it with vodka, dry and a bit dirty.  I like to taste the flavour of the vodka.  I may of changed my mind however when recently I tried an espresso martini at a small café in the city.  It was a bit hefty on the wallet (I think it cost $21!!) but it had many elements that I loved. 

It had Wyborowa vodka, which is an excellent, slightly creamy, barley based vodka from Poland as it’s base.  Also as it came from a café that is pretty well known for it’s coffee, it had an excellent strong espresso flavour to it as well.  After throwing back this brown martini, I decided that I should attempt to make one at home.  I mean, I make a great martini!  How hard could it be?

Miss Mardi’s espresso martini recipe:
  • 3 oz Belvedere vodka
  • 1 ½ oz of Kahlua
  • 2 oz of freshly made espresso coffee (chilled)
  • Dash of simple syrup

How to:
  1. Chill martini glass (use a slightly larger one than your old skool martini glass!)
  2. Into a cocktail shaker, add about 5 large ice cubes.
  3. Put vodka, Kahlua, simple syrup and espresso into shaker over ice.
  4. Shake vigorously.
  5. Pour into martini glass, garnish with a coffee bean.

Espresso martini


Variation of this recipe:

Miss Mardi’s Mochatini recipe:
  • 3 oz Belvedere vodka
  • 1 ½ oz of Kahlua
  • 1 ½  oz of freshly made espresso coffee (chilled)
  • Dash of simple syrup
  • ½ oz of cocoa 

* I used an organic Cacao powder which is a bitter and very dark chocolate powder.  I mixed a heaped tablespoon with some hot water to get my ½ oz of cocoa.  You could use any kind of hot chocolate mix, however the cacao powder isn’t sweet, allowing the other elements of the cocktail to come through.

How to:
  1. Chill martini glass (use a slightly larger one than your old skool martini glass!)
  2. Into a cocktail shaker, add about 5 large ice cubes.
  3. Put vodka, Kahlua, simple syrup, cocoa and espresso into shaker over ice.
  4. Shake vigorously.
  5. Pour into martini glass, garnish with a large shaving of dark chocolate.

These were the first flavoured based martinis that I’ve really made at home.  Espresso Martini aficionado, Mr. Lamb Chop couldn’t believe this was the first time I had ever made them!  Mr. Lamb Chop likes!

These are great with a dessert at the end of the evening, however, just watch out for the coffee!  You may be up all night making more than one martini!


Cocktail
Emjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also find this delicious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...