I've always loved gingerbread ever since I was a child. There is nothing better than a beautiful gingerbread man with cute iced clothing and raisin eyes. I especially love the spiced biscuit. I was inspired to make gingerbread recently for two reasons. Firstly I had come across some Swedish gingerbread spice mix that I picked up from Nord Living. It's by the company Two Swedes Cooking.
Also I bought some cute cookie cutters from Ikea that I have used for my gingerbread. They have cute foxes, squirrels and moose!
|gingerbread dough ready to go into the fridge.|
For this recipe I used my Swedish gingerbread spice as a replacement for all spices but you can use the spices listed below!
- 125g butter, at room temperature
- 100g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 125ml (1/2 cup) golden syrup
- 1 egg, separated
- 375g (2 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 1 tbs ground ginger
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Plain flour, to dust
- 150g (1 cup) pure icing sugar, sifted
|gingerbread waiting to go into the oven.|
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Prepare trays with baking paper.
- Use an electric beater to beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add the golden syrup and egg yolk and beat until combined. Stir in the flour, ginger, mixed spice and bicarbonate of soda. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Press dough into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to rest - up to over night if you have time!
- Meanwhile, place egg white in a clean, dry bowl. Use an electric beater to beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add icing sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge.
- Place the dough between 2 sheets of baking paper and roll out until about 4mm thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes. Place on trays about 3cm apart. Repeat with any excess dough.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes or until brown. Remove from oven. Transfer to a rack to cool.
- Place prepared icings in small plastic bags. Cut a small hole in a corner of each bag. Pipe icing over gingerbread to decorate.
|they are finished!|