Sunday, July 18, 2021

And I'm back... and a truffle Mac n Cheese




Wowsers, I haven't added to this 'blog' for quite some time.  I do use it quite a bit for my own personal reference - particularly when I'm hunting for an old favourite recipe and need to remember if it's 1 cup or 1 and a half, you know, that kinda thing.

So much has happened since I last posted.  There's been this thing going on - COVID-19 which has meant that we've been inside our houses, cooking up a storm.  I know lots of people have been making sourdough bread (yeah, sorry - that wasn't me but my husband kept us carb loaded!) and I know that many of us have sought comfort in food.

As a 'hey I'm back to the blog' I thought I would share my all time favourite winter comfort meal - Miss Mardi's Mac n Cheese.  What makes this meal different from your usual mac n cheese?  The addition of leeks, vermouth, cauliflower and truffle butter... it's a bit lighter with the addition of the cauliflower but still hits the spot!

I always make this with the philosophy of "that looks about right and that's enough" so I don't really measure anything but here are my tips if you are keen to try at home.

  • I break down a head of cauliflower into small florets
  • Sweat down 1 brown onion and a sliced leek - finish off the cooking with a splash of good dry white vermouth - I use Martini brand extra dry
  • Cook about half a bag of spiral macaroni (about 250 to 300 grams).  I always cook mine in salted water for about half the time it says on the pack - so about 5 minutes
  • Make the white sauce - start of with a traditional roux (butter and flour, then add milk).  For this version I used truffle butter - totally decadent!  Also I use skim milk, I know, I know but it is what we have in the house and seriously I prefer the less creamy sauce, it kinda allows the flavours to do their thing
  • Flavours for the mac sauce - I add a combo of sweet Hungarian paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, small amount of chili powder, mustard powder, white pepper and salt. This is all eyeballed but generally speaking, go light on the 'hot' flavours and heavy on the mustard.
  • Mix sauce with leek, onion, cauliflower etc - stir through with this your grated cheese mixture.  I use about a cup and a half of a premixed grated cheese combo of cheddar, Parmesan and mozzarella.
  • Pop in a container or two and top with some extra cheddar, sprinkle some panko breadcrumbs on top and add small little squares of truffle butter on top (maybe about 5 - don't go crazy!!)
  • Into the oven it goes at about 200 degrees celsius for approx 25 - 30 mins.  keep an eye on it for brownness.
Serve with some fresh parsley, hot sauce if that's your thing and additional truffle oil if you want that really earthiness.


Ps. that is me pointing at the specks of black truffle - delicious!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also find this delicious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...