Sunday, August 21, 2011

Miss Mardi's Home-style, strong Lemonade!

Homemade lemonade, spiked with belvedere vodka!


Like the saying goes:  "What do you do when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade!".  That's pretty much what I did last weekend!  I had a tough week last week.  I went to visit my mum and her lemon tree was bursting with fruit.  I came home with several large bags of the yellow beauties.  The sun was shinning on Sunday and when my friend turned up on my door step with a bottle of Belvedere vodka, I knew it was time to make a big jug of Miss Mardi's home-style, strong lemonade!

What you will need:
  • plenty of lemons, I think I used about 8 to 10 per jug.
  • good quality plain mineral water
  • ice
  • large jug
  • a batch of my lemon simple syrup.
  • good quality, Polish vodka

Miss Mardi's Lemon Simple Syrup
Using a 2 parts water to 1 part sugar theory, I put 2/3 cup of caster sugar into a small saucepan with 2 x 2/3 cups of cold water. Put about 4 to 5 large pieces of lemon zest/rind (use a vegetable peeler to get these peelings off!) in the saucepan too.  Stir mixture over heat until the sugar dissolves and then bring to a boil until the mixture is slightly syrupy and thick.  You want this to still be an easy pouring consistency, lighter than maple syrup.  This can take about 7 to 10 minutes depending on your mixture.

Remove the lemon rind and discard, pour mixture into a small glass container and allow to cool.



How to make Miss Mardi's Home-style, strong Lemonade!
  1. In a large jug, add a good dose of ice cubes (fill about 1/4 of your jug)
  2. Add a few shots of vodka
  3. Add the juice of about 8 to 10 lemons, this is to taste, you can add more or less if you like and it depends on the size of your jug.
  4. Add a good dose of the lemon simple syrup.
  5. fill remainder of jug with plain mineral water.
  6. garnish with freshly cut circles of lemon and give a good stir!
Now, remember all of this is to taste!  You can add more of the simple syrup for a sweeter lemonade, more lemons and naturally more vodka.  I find when I pour out the individual drinks into small glasses to add a dash more vodka per glass just for good measure!


Enjoy! Miss Mardi xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also find this delicious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...