Like the saying goes: "What do you do when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade!". That's pretty much what I did last weekend! I had a tough week last week. I went to visit my mum and her lemon tree was bursting with fruit. I came home with several large bags of the yellow beauties. The sun was shinning on Sunday and when my friend turned up on my door step with a bottle of Belvedere vodka, I knew it was time to make a big jug of Miss Mardi's home-style, strong lemonade!
What you will need:
- plenty of lemons, I think I used about 8 to 10 per jug.
- good quality plain mineral water
- large jug
- a batch of my lemon simple syrup.
- good quality, Polish vodka
Miss Mardi's Lemon Simple Syrup
Using a 2 parts water to 1 part sugar theory, I put 2/3 cup of caster sugar into a small saucepan with 2 x 2/3 cups of cold water. Put about 4 to 5 large pieces of lemon zest/rind (use a vegetable peeler to get these peelings off!) in the saucepan too. Stir mixture over heat until the sugar dissolves and then bring to a boil until the mixture is slightly syrupy and thick. You want this to still be an easy pouring consistency, lighter than maple syrup. This can take about 7 to 10 minutes depending on your mixture.
Remove the lemon rind and discard, pour mixture into a small glass container and allow to cool.
How to make Miss Mardi's Home-style, strong Lemonade!
- In a large jug, add a good dose of ice cubes (fill about 1/4 of your jug)
- Add a few shots of vodka
- Add the juice of about 8 to 10 lemons, this is to taste, you can add more or less if you like and it depends on the size of your jug.
- Add a good dose of the lemon simple syrup.
- fill remainder of jug with plain mineral water.
- garnish with freshly cut circles of lemon and give a good stir!
Enjoy! Miss Mardi xxx