Tuesday, May 14, 2013

I Can Pickle That... & tales of relish making...




I'm a huge fan of Portlandia and the 'I Can Pickle That' skit makes me laugh every time, mostly due to our large output of pickles this year.

However, it is not just pickles that have been happening at Casa MaMa... no!  We've been making all kinds of relish like the Zombie Apocalypse is coming!  We had a huge output of tomatoes this season.  We were so pleased that we got so many kilos of ripe tomatoes this year as we missed out last year due to overseas travel.  With so many tomatoes I made up about three batches of tomato relish, each one a little different to the other.  The great thing with so much relish is that I have been swapping it for other tasty treats from friends - even a 6 pack of beer!

Now that the tomatoes have ended, our capsicums (or peppers for my USA friends) have started to arrive.  We have approximately 30 plants that self-sowed from our compost and are flourishing!  If you know me well, you will know of my weird love for raw capsicum.  I knew eating all of those capsicums would eventually pay off.

More relish... This time with capsicum from our front yard...


With so many capsicums coming in, I have tried my hand at making a green capsicum relish too.  I didn't really have a recipe, I just adapted from my knowledge of relish making to ensure it was sweet, spicy and cured!

I've left the jars to sit and 'age' for a little while so stay tuned for the taste test!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also find this delicious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...